Semiconductor Device & Applications Engineer
About the Company
Poro Technologies Ltd (Porotech), the Gallium Nitride (GaN) material technology developer, focuses on the development of high performance and energy efficient wide-bandgap compound GaN semiconductors. Its unique production process allows the controlled creation of a new class of nanostructured GaN semiconductor materials, called PoroGaNTM, engineered to deliver new materials properties and functionalities.
GaN is the silicon of the future, as it has many more interesting properties, including energy efficiency, than any other semiconductor materials. We can control the porosification process to vary the GaN nanostructures and hence engineer a wide range of material properties, such as optical, mechanical, thermal and electrical.
In conjunction with its partner and foundry network, Porotech is commercialising its PoroGaNTM semiconductor device solutions, offering an entirely new platform for MicroLED devices to be built upon and delivering transformative properties in a single, fully scalable step.
The technology is revolutionising the next-generation Micro-LED display industry by enabling all three (red, green and blue) pixel colours to be realised on a single InGaN materials system – an important world-first for mass market adoption.
About the role
We are looking for a Semiconductor Device and Applications Engineer for materials and device structure design & modelling, device fabrication and testing. This role will provide skills and hands-on experience and will be expected to support the R&D activity and report to the VP Product Development and CTO. The role will be based in Cambridge, UK, with national and international travel. If you have this mindset and believe you could bring your unique skills and ideas to the company, we’d love to meet you and find out if our challenge is just as exciting to you as it is to us.
We are seeking individuals who can:
- Complete knowledge and hands-on experience in design, model, fabricate and test of compound semiconductor materials and devices
- Manage individual projects and deliver the device demos and prototypes defined by the company’s technology and product roadmap
- Work closely and support the VP Product and Development and CTO to develop future material and device technologies
- Work with external academic and industrial partners and customers
- Publish scientific papers and attend conferences
- Travel to project partner or customer’s site
- Outcome focused and report to all levels of the business
Experience & Skills & Qualifications:
- Excellent understanding of semiconductor materials and fabrication technologies
- Demonstrable experience of successfully developing new products and processes of optoelectronic devices
- Hands-on cleanroom experience with equipment such as photo- and e-beam lithography, nanoimprint, e-beam and thermal deposition, RIE and ICP dry etching
- Capability to design and develop novel semiconductor devices from the base material
- Experience of carrying proof of concept technologies through to prototype level
- Very flexible approach to project delivery
- A capability to grasp new scientific concepts and technologies quickly
- An exceptional team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Qualification to PhD level in relevant subject: semiconductor physics, materials chemistry, materials science or electrical engineering, or degree paired with suitable experience
- Experience of III-nitride semiconductors or other compound semiconductor material and device development
- Background in materials characterisation and testing techniques, such as Raman spectroscopy, AFM, Hall, PL, SEM, XRD, XPS, etc
- Experience in solid state device design and CAD capabilities
- Experience in CMSOL, FDTD and Lumerical modelling capabilities
At Porotech, we would like you to enjoy the success of the company to emerge from the UK and lead the world’s III-nitride semiconductor development, which you will be helping to build and be part of. It is an ideal time to join with a business with unique technology and products that are ready to be delivered and going to change the market.
Competitive salary dependent on experience. The ideal candidate will benefit from a generous company share option program as well as health insurance, dental insurance and pension plan. If you are interested in helping us change the world, send your CV with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to making your acquaintance.