Optical Test Engineer
About the Company
Poro Technologies Ltd (Porotech) utilises its core porous GaN platform technology and global supply chain to deliver next generation microLED technologies into applications from AR glasses to videowalls. The PoroGaN® platform enables Porotech to produce both high colour purity monochrome microLED technology and multi/full colour displays based on its’ ground-breaking DynamicPixelTuning® (DPT®) technology.
The DPT® technology offers an entirely new approach to full colour microLED displays. DPT means the end of ‘RGB’ sub-pixels and instead allows a single pixel to be designated any colour in the visible spectrum. This simplifies & improves the design of the display and optical system and removes major manufacturing roadblocks.
About the role
We are looking for a capable and motivated optical test engineer to join our expanding UK office. Must have proof of right to work in the UK to apply.
You will work in a small team responsible for opto-electronic measurement, supporting R&D and production quality control. You will measure optical devices to provide photometric results and analysis to engineers, product managers and commercial teams. The role will be hands on with responsibility for day-to-day running and maintenance of existing systems in our test laboratories, including training new equipment users. You will use your experience in optical testing to define new measurement techniques, develop the hardware and photometric analysis. You will work with applications engineers and optical designers to develop and demonstrate innovative technologies. You will also work closely with epitaxy engineer teams, understanding the manufacturing processes and supporting mass production. This is a vital role, ensuring that our products meet exacting standards as we scale to meet increasing demand from our globally recognised customers.
If you have a growth mindset and believe you could bring your unique skills and ideas to the company, we’d love to meet you and find out if our challenge is just as exciting to you as it is to us.
- Effective running of our electro-optic testing equipment and protocols.
- Analyse and report test results to the wider team.
- Maintain test records and documentation.
- Maintain day-to-day activities in the characterisation lab.
- Continuous improvement and development of new optical characterisation techniques.
- Communicate with external equipment suppliers.
- Degree or PhD in physics, materials science, electrical engineering or a similar discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Direct experience of optical measurement in a commercial R&D or manufacturing environment.
- Experience developing new test protocols and commissioning new equipment.
- Data analysis & text-based coding skills (e.g. Python, JMP, Excel macro, C, Matlab).
- Ability to work flexibly and independently to meet agreed objectives and timelines.
- Observant and excellent attention to detail.
- Experience in test hardware integration and development of test setups (fibre optics, spectrometers, source-measurement units).
- Knowledge and understanding of wide-bandgap semiconductor materials, processing, and characterisation technologies.
- Experience training and supervising in a laboratory environment.
- Experience in mechanical design and CAD skills.
- Device/optical modelling capabilities (e.g. COMSOL, TCAD, FDTD, Lumerical).
- Experience in text-based coding for data analysis.
At Porotech you will be part of a scaling business, emerging from the UK, with disruptive III-nitride display technology. Joining the business at this stage gives you the opportunity to make an early impact and contribute to the future success of the company.
Competitive salary dependent on experience. Company benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, and pension plan. If you are interested in helping us change the world, send your CV with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to meeting you.